At Adams Commercial Cleaning Inc., we pride ourselves on our dedication to using green, or eco-friendly cleaning products to give a deep, thorough clean. Many other cleaning companies utilize harmful cleaning products. These products contain chemicals which are bad for our environment, but they are also bad for our health.
Many of these chemicals contain toxins which we inhale or encounter when they seep into the skin and thus, pass directly into the organs. Some toxic chemicals found in common cleaning products include:
- Phthalates. This chemical is found in many fragranced household products like air fresheners, scented toilet papers and dish soaps. You probably won’t see phthalates on a label, but a good rule of thumb is that “fragrance” translates to phthalates.
- Perchloroethylene (PERC). PERC is found in many dry-cleaning solutions, spot removers, and carpet and upholstery cleaners. The EPA has classified PERC as a “possible carcinogen,” but it is confirmed as a neurotoxin.
- Triclosan. Is a very aggressive antibacterial agent that can promote the growth of drug-resistant bacteria. The EPA was also investigating possible connections with triclosan and the disruption of endocrine (hormones) functions, as well as triclosan as a probable carcinogen.Other studies have found dangerous concentrations of triclosan in rivers and streams, where it is toxic to algae.
- Quaternary Ammonium Compounds or “QUATS”. This antimicrobial is found in fabric softener liquids and other antibacterial household cleaners. Like triclosan, QUATS promote the growth of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
These chemicals are also a skin irritant, and studies have shown that even healthy people can develop asthma from exposure.
- 2-Butoxyethanol. Is the key ingredient in many window cleaners. It gives them that signature sweet smell. According to the EPA’s Web site, in addition to causing sore throats when inhaled, at high levels glycol ethers can also contribute to narcosis, pulmonary edema, and severe liver and kidney damage.
- Ammonia. Because ammonia evaporates and doesn’t leave streaks, it’s another common ingredient in commercial window cleaners. Ammonia is a particularly powerful irritant and begins to affect you right away. Repeated exposure to ammonia can lead to the development of chronic bronchitis and asthma. Also, when mixed with bleach, ammonia can create a poisonous gas.
- Chlorine. Chlorine is found in many different products. It is found in toilet bowl cleaners and mildew removers, but it is also found in the water that comes out of your shower. Chlorine is a respiratory irritant, but it also may be a serious thyroid disrupter.
- Sodium Hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide, also known as lye, is found in oven cleaners and drain openers. It is extremely corrosive. If it comes in direct contact with your skin or eyes, it can cause severe burns. Inhaling lye can cause a sore throat that lasts for days.
The ACCI family cares about the hardworking team that provide thorough cleaning services, but we also care about our clients and our planet. We use Melaleuca and EnvirOx. After intensive research, we found these two companies provide the best green cleaning products. Their cleaning products are effective and eco-friendly, which allows us to provide an in-depth clean, while also ensuring we are environmentally conscious.
Do you value green cleaning? Call us today for a complimentary consultation.